Python for Kids
Learn Python for kids! Master a powerful real-world programming language used by top companies including Netflix and Spotify, and have fun creating your own cool games and applications.
What is Python?
Python is one of the best programming languages for teens to get started with when they begin their coding journey, after Scratch. In the last several years, Python has also become one of the most popular languages, eclipsing major coding staples like C++ and Java.
Python is a user-friendly language, written in a very logical format, which allows coders to quickly create and run powerful code. Python is used to build apps and inform machine learning, conduct data analysis, and much more.
A major draw of Python is its huge collection of modules. Python modules contain code written by others that can be imported into and used in your own projects. Thus, Python serves as not only a coding language, but an access point to thousands of useful functions and analytical tools.
Is Python coding good for kids?
Python coding is good for kids and teens. We find students who are ages 10 and above, and comfortable with basic math concepts tend to succeed in learning Python. With Python, the coder can focus only on what they want their code to accomplish. Additionally, because Python’s syntax is close to English language syntax, English speakers may find it easier to understand. For these reasons, Python is a great language for a beginner coder to learn. It serves as a jumping off point for other written languages.
Try free Python classes
Free Intro to Python Coding
- Grades 5-10
In this free Python coding class, students will take their first dive into coding with Python. We will transition from block coding, which they learned in Scratch, to text-based coding. Students will learn how to animate and draw with Python, and will build their own story project to create a cool animation. Like all of our small group classes, this online Python for kids class is led by an experienced teacher. Join us, learn, and have fun!
- 55 minutesSingle Session
- Average 5 Students Per Class
- Computer - MacWindows PCChromebook
Join the best Python classesBecause of its ease of use and extensive libraries of code, Python is great for both novice and expert coding projects. The best Python for kids classes introduce students to essential coding knowledge, while also helping them build their problem solving, creativity, and critical thinking skills. Every class includes cool hands-on projects including building animations and games, relatable real-life examples, and lively expert teachers to keep your child on track and having fun.
Python for AI - 1
Python for AI - 2
Python for AI - 3
Python for AI - 4
Explore Python camps
The best Python camps for kids equip students to become data scientists, software engineers, cloud architects, developers, and much more. Python can even be used to conquer everyday tasks such as randomly assigning kids to sports teams, sending yourself a text reminder to wear sunscreen any day it’s sunny, and tracking stock market prices. Our small-group camps led live by an expert instructor not only foster a collaborative, safe environment, but also guide students through learning and applying Python skills in ways that build on each other. We offer camps in a variety of formats including four days a week, two days a week, and once per week, throughout the year. Explore summer Python camps, winter break camps, Thanksgiving camps, and more.
Check out Python games and resources
- Python games for beginners: Explore 3 easy Python games for beginners. And read along as we break things down with a step-by-step tutorial for making a simple Python game, too.
- Python exercises for kids: Try a variety of 10 Python exercises for kids. We find that students learn best by doing, and thus it is vital to give your children worthwhile challenges to keep them engaged. Targeted practice on Python skills also helps your students learn faster, and retain what they learn.
- Python projects for kids: Inspire your child to continue using Python! These 7 projects are approachable and have plenty of room for imagination.
- Free Python tutorial: Find out how to build your first animation in Python - a stick figure!
- Python resources for kids: Discover 10 Python programming resources. As you'll see, some are more geared towards stand-alone use, while some are better as supplemental resources.
- More resources: See the five core concepts your child can learn to build a solid foundation in Python.