Intro to Computational Biology Class
Learn how to use code to decipher your biological code -- understand what makes you YOU
- Grades 6-12
- 2-3 students group class
- 55 minutes per session
- Live online class
This is a chance to get a peek into the challenges scientists deal with every day, and where coding can help! Computational biology is a field that bridges the gap between biology and computer science. If your child is curious about understanding how we humans work inside, and is interested in learning how Python coding can lend a hand in understanding the world of DNA, RNA, and proteins, then this is the class to get started!
- Precision medicine; DNA origami; and Nanobots: the future of medicine is being transformed, and the field of computational biology is one that is more relevant today than ever. Students will learn the core concepts of this field, while exploring exciting applications using Python! For students who are interested in taking it, we recommend reading the genomics sessions of a high school biology text book before the class.
- This is a continuation of part I. Students will learn out cutting-edge technologies such as CRISPR and how genome analysis is done.
- In unit 3, we introduce more genomics concepts such as mutation, SNPs, and coding/noncoding regions. Students will also learn what precision medicine is, its key applications, as well as popular approaches for sequencing and identifying mutations. We will also introduce tools such as Mi Transcriptome, Regex, and SPAdes.
Noel Martinez-Amador has always had a passion for creating things. Whether it was the makeshift guitar he built in the 6th grade or the newspaper and magazine he helped design in high school and college, he always sought out opportunities to flex his creative skills. Thus, as someone who very much enjoyed art, he was surprised to learn that coding could be applied to more than just what is typically associated with computers. This realization motivated his to explore where else coding could be applied. Presently, as a student studying computer science with an emphasis on graphics/visuals and as a research assistant in a laboratory that researches heart health, he understands the vastly diverse uses that coding has. As a result, he is am able to understand and communicate how important an idea is in and outside of the classroom to your student. With my past experience in tutoring and as a student himself, he knows that creating this connection between your student’s interest and what they are learning is important to improving how they internalize information. Therefore, he makes concrete examples an important part of your student's learning experience.
- (12 Sessions)
$477$381.604.5 class pack credits
- Computer that is less than 5 years old and has at least 8GB of RAM
- Prerequisites - Familiarity with Python. Have taken our Python for AI 1 & 2 classes or equivalent. For students with no prior biology background, it is best to read genomics sessions of a high school biology book to get the most out of the class. In particular, read sections that emphasize 'the central dogma' of biology, and have a general understanding of genes, DNA, RNA, transcription, translation, amino acids, nucleotide, and proteins.
- Downloadable Certificate.
Show the world you did it. You really did it!
- #1 Coding Curriculum
Designed by Stanford, Google & Apple Experts with kids in mind.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We'll help you find the right class, always. Love it or get a full refund.
- Expert Teachers
US-based, background checked, highly trained and 3+ years of experience in their fields.