Entertainment - AI is being used to personalize the content that we see on platforms like Netflix and YouTube. At Netflix, it is also used to decide what movies or TV shows to produce by learning characteristics that make content successful and to optimize the production of original movies and TV shows.
Healthcare - AI and Data Science are being used for diagnostics, monitoring patients, and personalized medicine. For example, at Mass General Brigham, doctors use about 50 AI algorithms to help them with patient care, ranging from detecting aneurysms and cancers to spotting embolisms and signs of stroke among emergency-room patients.
Gaming - Gaming is one of the most active areas where AI is being studied and applied. AlphaGo beating one of the top Go players in the world marked a significant milestone of AI. AI-powered NPCs can provide more exciting interactions with players. AI is also being used to generate realistic game scenes. Large amounts of player data are collected and analyzed in real time to create a more tailored and enjoyable experience for players.
Transportation - AI and Data Science are transforming the transportation industry with autonomous vehicles such as Wymo, Tesla, and Aurora; traffic management through data collected via camera and sensors, as well as reducing air travel delay by monitoring weather and other factors.
Robotics - AI is being used to create advanced robots that can perform tasks that would be difficult or impossible for humans. Check out our Robotics article for more information.
Sports - Sports analytics is becoming increasingly important for teams to help players and teams improve their performance and to form strategies against other teams. Houston Rockets' Daryl Morey was the first NBA general manager to implement advanced metrics as a key aspect of player evaluation. Today, nearly every top sports team has a data analytics department.
Financial industry - The requirements on data analytics are among the highest in the financial industry. Huge amounts of data need to be analyzed in real time to reduce fraud, make more informed financial decisions, and determine the stock investment portfolios.
Art, design, and music - White the application of AI to the creative fields such as art, design, and music are relatively new, recent development in generative AI has been truly astonishing. Now anyone can create art as long as you can imagine, even if you don’t know how to draw.
These examples illustrate the diverse ways in which AI and data science are being used across a wide range of industries. Top companies such as Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and Tesla are investing heavily in AI research and development, showcasing the immense potential of this technology. As AI continues to revolutionize industries and reshape our world, introducing kids to AI at an early age can equip them with valuable skills and knowledge that can pave the way for a promising future in the rapidly evolving tech landscape.
- Machine Learning: Understanding the fundamentals of machine learning, including algorithms, data preprocessing, and model evaluation, is crucial for building AI systems that can learn from data and make predictions or decisions.
- Programming: Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, R, and Java is essential for developing AI applications. Kids can learn to write code to manipulate data, build machine learning models, and implement AI algorithms.
- Data Analysis: Analyzing and interpreting data is a fundamental skill in AI. Kids should learn how to work with different data types, clean and preprocess data, and apply statistical techniques to derive insights and patterns from data.
- Deep Learning: Deep learning is a subset of machine learning that uses neural networks to model complex patterns in data. Kids can learn about neural networks, activation functions, and training algorithms to develop expertise in building deep learning models.
- Creative Problem Solving: AI requires creative thinking and problem-solving skills to tackle complex challenges. Kids should learn to approach problems with curiosity, critical thinking, and innovation to develop AI solutions that can positively impact society.
We will focus here on the foundational skills that are specific for learning Artificial Intelligence For Kids. The appropriate path to learn depends on both a student’s age as well as their experience.
We believe what is most useful for students is to understand how to best utilize AI/Data Science, their strengths and limitations, their broad applications, as well as social and community impacts of AI. These skills are essential regardless of what career paths students will take.
For more advanced students, it is important to get hands-on experiences on state-of-art technologies in an age appropriate way and to inspire them to discover new powerful ways to use AI. The following are what we recommend.
|Platform||Best for Grades||Why we like it||Block/Text Coding||Our Classes|
|Scratch Coding||2 - 9||Scratch is the best way for kids to start learning coding, a foundational skill for AI and data science.||Block|
|ChatGPT||3 - 12||Explore how to use state of the art ChatGPT AI to create awesome Scratch projects.||Text|
|Artificial Intelligence||4 - 7||AI applications for image recognition, chatbots, and machine learning.||Text|
|Data Analysis||4 - 7||Explore a range of fun topics such as movies and travel, and find out how to tell the best stories with data using different tools||Text|
|Arduino||4 - 9||Design simple electronic systems for alarms, home sensing, motor controls, etc, as well as create code to control these systems. And does not require a physical device.||Block and Text|
|Python Coding||5 - 12||The most popular programming languages for AI and Data Science applications. It’s also the easiest text-based language to learn.||Text|
|Data Science with Pandas||5 - 12||Pandas is a fast, powerful, and flexible open source data analysis and manipulation tool.||Text|
|Computer Vision: Machine Learning||6 - 12||Create simple and practical AI apps using a variety of tools - from the Python coding language and open source packages to commercial AI||Text|
Start With Free Classes
Join top-rated kids coding classes
Our small group free coding classes, live online experience, and awesome teachers set every child up for success. Discover the magic in technology and have fun when you get started today.
Free Intro to Scratch Coding
AI Explorers - Introduction (free event)
Kids who are curious about technology and enjoy problem solving find AI to be an exciting and rewarding field to explore. Studying AI can offer kids a fun and engaging way to learn about cutting-edge technology, scientific concepts, and real-world applications, while developing important skills such as critical thinking, creativity, and teamwork.
- Coding Skills: Learning AI involves understanding and implementing complex algorithms and programming concepts. Kids can learn coding skills in languages such as Python, R, or Java, and gain hands-on experience in developing AI applications.
- Diverse Technological Skills: AI encompasses a wide range of technologies, from machine learning and computer vision to natural language processing and robotics. Kids can explore various areas of AI and discover their interests, whether it's creating chatbots, building recommendation systems, or developing computer vision applications.
- Motivating and Engaging: AI allows kids to see the results of their coding come to life, which can be highly motivating and engaging. They can witness their AI models making predictions, recognizing patterns, and solving real-world problems, sparking their curiosity and driving them to learn more.
- Creativity and Problem Solving: AI involves finding innovative solutions to complex problems. Kids can use their creativity to design and build their own AI models, experiment with different algorithms, and come up with new ways to tackle challenges, fostering creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Real-World Applications: AI is transforming various industries such as healthcare, finance, transportation, and entertainment. Learning AI can prepare kids for future careers in these industries and equip them with the skills needed to make a positive impact in the world.
By learning AI, kids can gain valuable skills, engage in hands-on learning experiences, foster creativity and innovation, and prepare themselves for the future job market. It's an exciting field with endless possibilities, and learning AI at a young age can open up doors to exciting opportunities in the world of technology and innovation.
Does my kid need to take all of these classes to learn AI?
Except for Scratch coding, which we recommend for every student as the starting point, you can pick and choose what you enjoy from the list of the classes. The classes all cover very different content and we do recommend taking most of them, which you could do over the span of several years, to learn different skills related to robotics.
Tell me more about Scratch and why my kid should learn Scratch if they are interested in AI?
Scratch is a simple drag-and-drop programming language that’s a great introduction to programming for beginners. As students learn Scratch they’ll grapple with problems, build their creativity, and master core coding concepts that will all apply to their future work in AI.
What is AI?
What are some activities to get my student interested in AI?
These virtually taught classes are so engaging, my son really enjoys them and is so excited to show us the coding projects he has completed on all 3 levels of Scratch Ninja. We will definitely be signing him up for more classes and thoroughly recommend Create & Learn to other parents.
Create & Learn Parent
Amazing instructor. Can really keep my daughter engaged in a fun way. Thanks to Create & Learn my daughter's tech scores have skyrocketed at school.
Create & Learn Parent
Amazing virtual classes that taught my son about coding. He has taken 3 classes and he loves them all. They have some really good programs. I would definitely recommend this website and I plan to sign him up for more classes.