March 7, 2021
Our teacher was wonderful and so supportive. She moved at a great pace and was very knowledgeable. My daughter had a great time! Thank you!
February 27, 2021
These virtually taught classes are so engaging, my son really enjoys them and is so excited to show us the coding projects he has completed on all 3 levels of Scratch Ninja. We will definitely be signing him up for more classes and thoroughly recommend Create and Learn to other parents.
February 24, 2021
My kid is having a blast with the Scratch class. It’s a fun way to introduce her to coding. She’s learning so much and you can really tell the instructors care about your kid succeeding and having fun in the process! Highly recommend!
February 13, 2021
Great online learning for kids to learn coding. My daughters love building mobile apps and coding. The instructors are very patients and make learning so much fun! I highly recommend Create & Learn!
February 1, 2021
My son recently started his coding class with Create & Learn and he loves it. Instructors are patient and teach in a way that's makes my son want to learn more and he really enjoys his classes and looks forward to it every week.
What is Scratch Coding? Everything you need to know
Scratch coding is a free block-based coding platform designed by MIT that allows you to create your own games, stories, and animations. On Scratch, you can program many different types of projects, such as a Magic Pen, Wizard Tag Game, or even platform games. Scratch for kids is designed for students ages 8-16, but can be used by everyone.
Blocks include event blocks, Scratch motion blocks (for movement), looks blocks (for changing shapes and colors), control blocks (for managing logics of your code), and more. So you can create all sorts of fun animations, games, and stories!
Answers to common questions about Scratch coding
1. Is Scratch coding free?
Yes, the Scratch website is completely free. Your child can go there anytime and start coding! Scratch does not offer any curriculum though. So kids will have to figure out how to learn it on their own. There are also books and YouTube videos that teach students Scratch. The easiest way for your kid to get started on Scratch is to join our Free Scratch Intro class live online with an awesome teacher. We have taught thousands of students Scratch coding over the years.
2. Is Scratch real coding?
Scratch is real coding, even though it is easy to learn.
3. Should my kid learn Scratch before Python?
Yes, your child can start learning Scratch before Python, because they can focus on learning Computational Thinking, which is the core principles of coding, without having to worry about syntax. Scratch is a block-coding language, meaning that children code by dragging and arranging logic “blocks” onto a canvas. While its applications are ultimately more limited than Python, Scratch shares many coding fundamentals such as loops, conditionals, and variables.
4. Is Scratch good for beginners?
Yes, Scratch is fun coding that’s good for beginners. For children with little-to-no experience, Scratch is a great place to start to learn the basics of coding. What's great is that you are unable to make typos with this method, ensuring less errors.
Explore Scratch coding online quick links
Here are a few helpful ways to continue your MIT Scratch learning journey.
- Scratch getting started tutorial: Discover how to get started, and the different block types.
- Scratch MIT - Check out the homepage for the Scratch app (for ages 7 and above).
- Scratch games on ScratchJr: Program your own interactive stories and games (for young children ages 5-7).
- Google CS First - Discover a set of curriculum developed by Google using Scratch.
- Advanced Scratch tutorial: Find out how to use costumes, how to create motion. Plus, how to control with conditionals, and more!
- Advanced Scratch class: This compressed series of classes introduce students to all the key coding concepts in Scratch in just 8 sessions, and ready them to more advanced computer science courses.
- Scratch online coding fair: See the awesome Scratch projects Create & Learn students have made. And get inspired to create your own.